Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What is is, and what it isn't Cornbread

Ever since I was a little girl, I have had an unnatural fear of loose corn. Laugh if you will, but corn must be kept on a short leash around me. I just do not like my corn to be unannounced or sort of loose and mingling in my dinner. Popcorn is a totally different animal, because popcorn is not and never will be confused for loose corn floating around in, say, a stew or a tasty taco salad.
No, loose corn is evil.
Corn on the cob is to be eaten with joy, AFTER I saw it off the cob, and add 1/2 stick of butter and salt and pepper. (I may like to stuff my face but I don't like the look of a corn of cob stuffed in my craw.)

Sometimes when we don't feel up to par, we take chances that we wouldn't normally take.
Sometimes when we don't feel up to par, we throw caution (and corn) to the wind.

What it is:

2 C Martha White Buttermilk Cornbread Mix
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1 Cup Milk
2 eggs -beaten
1 handful of shredded cheddar
4 chopped green onions
1 can 50% less salt pure corn - 80% of it pureed in the handy chopper
Black pepper

Spritz 8x11 pan with butter flavor baking spray
Preheat oven to Speed Bake 400*
Toss ingredients into a nice, big bowl and mix them up. Add a few pinches of pepper.
Bake for about 17 minutes on convection -- or until golden in a regular oven.

What it isn't: another loose corn nightmare.

No comments:

Blog Archive